I have been living in the US for the last 18 years and I have never traveled on a train over a long distance. This week, I had to travel to New York and decided to take the Acela Express. What a remarkable experience – I don’t think I will ever fly to New York from Boston.
So what constituted to a great product experience:
1) No security lines
2) Cheap parking – $10 a day compared to $22 a day at Logan plus tolls
3) Parking right outside the station – 2 minute walk compared to Logan’s long walks to terminals plus traffic hassles
4) Awesome, wide comfortable reclining seats
5) On time arrival and departure
6) Cheap taxi ride to the hotel (as opposed to expensive ride from La Guardia) – though we were ripped off by a capitalistic van driver.
7) Quiet car where you are refrained from talking and using the cell phone – I tried the next car and was in midst of so many sales guys chattering over the phone – I quickly made my way to the quiet car and had such a great ride.
Total travel time on the train – 3 hours, 25 minutes compares to probably the same on the flight given how early I need to get to the airport, battle security lines, delays etc.
Plus, above all of this, I contributed to reducing the carbon footprint – hey, I drive a hybrid too.
Truly, a great product experience.