July 7, 2010 4 Comments
I am hiring a product manager to join my product management team at Gazelle.com. If you or anyone you know is interested and is local to Boston or is planning to move into the Boston area, please send the resume to gopal [at] gazelle[dot] com. The job description is given below.
What does Gazelle do?
Gazelle.com allows consumers to trade-in used electronics in 20 categories (cell phones, digital cameras, camcorders, laptops, iPhones, MP3 players, GPS devices etc.) for cash. Our vision is to change the way consumers consume by allowing them to trade in their devices when they upgrade to newer devices such that the older products do not end up in the landfill. In case you are wondering why it is better for a consumer to use Gazelle as opposed to trying to sell on auction sites such as eBay or listing sites such as Craigslist, read the top 11 reasons to sell on Gazelle. We are experiencing tremendous growth and are looking for a rock-star Product Manager to join our product management team.
If you enjoy creating web products that deliver an awesome customer experience and if you love to work in a very informal, fun environment where you are expected to do what it takes, you should apply. The product management team at Gazelle is responsible for the product planning and execution throughout the product lifecycle, including: gathering and prioritizing product and customer requirements, defining the product vision, and working closely with engineering, business development, marketing and support to ensure revenue and customer satisfaction goals are met.
Gazelle focuses a lot on our company culture and we will hire only those who will fit strongly into our culture that is focused on having fun while we work hard on our vision of changing the way consumers consume used electronics.
The Product Manager is expected to:
- Assist the Director of Product Management to define the product strategy and roadmap
- Create requirements documents for features and/or new products
- Lead a cross-functional team to develop required products and/or features that meet the customer needs.
- Work with the business development team to assess partnerships and licensing opportunities
- Run usability tests, beta and pilot programs with early-stage products or releases
- Have a keen sense for product usability and customer experience.
- Act as a leader within the company
Required experience and knowledge
- Minimum of 5 years experience as a Product Manager of an ecommerce website (consumer products a plus)
- Demonstrated success defining and launching successful products
- Experience interviewing prospects/customers to understand their pain points and then creating products that successfully solved these pain points.
- Proven ability to influence cross-functional teams without formal authority
- Samples of effective requirements documents delivered in the past
- Bachelor’s degree required
Intangibles (to be heavily weighed)
- Organized, methodical, process-driven.
- Proven ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Excellent written and oral communicator and sound teaming skills.
- Impeccable problem solving and analytical skills, as well as the ability to develop innovative alternatives and recommendations.
- High level of ethics and integrity, as well as the strength to stand behind them.
- Results- and detail-oriented with ability to manage and execute multiple tasks.
- A proactive, “hands-on” self-starter who will prosper in a fast-paced small company. and
- The ability to have fun while doing all of the above.
10 reasons why you want to work at Gazelle
- Competitive salary with quarterly bonus (based on individual performance) – we want you to focus on making our customers happy and not worry about money.
- Stock options – we want you to have a stake in the company. We all sink or swim.
- 401(k) match – we want you to start saving for your retirement – your long-term happiness matters to us.
- 100% paid medical, dental and vision benefits for employees and a generous contribution towards coverage for dependants.
- Flexible hours – we don’t care when you come in and leave as long as work gets done. But, we are very serious about getting work done and we hold everyone accountable.
- 15 days of paid vacation plus 3 floating days per year plus national holidays – we want you to have a life outside of work.
- Free lunch on Mondays – that is if you like pizzas and sandwiches – we love both of them. Oh, we also have free coffee and espresso – you will need the caffeine. And if you like junk food, we have free snacks as well.
- Open office floor – we don’t have cubicles, offices and name plates. All employees including our CEO get a desk and they are old desks, no mahogany or cherry here, because we are frugal and also environment friendly.
- Get to work in an old building – yah, the bathrooms occasionally don’t work, we may have to double-park, but we absolutely love the startup feel.
- No dress code – yes, you need to wear clothes, but we don’t care if you want to wear a suit or come in shorts or flip-flops. Did we tell you that all that matters to us is doing excellent work that delivers an awesome experience to our customers? Oh yah, we did.