I have been thinking lately of all the software tools and resources I use everyday to get my job done and to get better as a software product manager – here is my list in no priority order.
1) MS Office
4) GotoMeeting, Webex – to have customers take a look at early mockups, do usability testing, review comments on specs from customers in real time, webinars etc. – GotoMeeting rocks, webex and live meeting suck.
5) Photoediting software – Photoshop Elements, Paintshop Pro etc. – to do very quick mockups of concepts
6) Snagit – I can’t tell you much I love this tool
7) Websites – LinkedIn, ZoomInfo – get information on who’s who at a prospect or a customer
8. Salesforce.com – to get customer contact info and understand what products has the customer bought etc.
9) Internal Bug database – report bugs, do bug mining before I land up at a customer site.
What I read regularly though not as much as I want:
1) Business Week
2) Fast Company
4) Ask a Good Product Manager blog
5) How to be a Good Product Manager blog
6) Ecommerce times
I would love to hear other great tools or resources you have found very useful as a software product manager.
One thought on “Software Product Manager’s toolchest”
– Microsoft Live Mail (syncs contacts on various computers)
– Skype with a Logitech Hi Def Web cam
(I use this as my home phone system now for about 5$ a month for unlimited calling in US and Canada)
– Microsoft Foldershare (awesome product for free)
– Microsoft SharedView (screen sharing app for free)
– Windows Live Photo Gallery (very nice photo app)